Monday, February 23, 2009

Zack's surgery

Today, we took our little Zack in for surgery at TX Pediatric Surgery Center. He had his tonsils/adenoids out, ear tubes, and turbinate reduction surgery.

Zack wanted everyone to see the TV in his room.

Right now, Zack is doing okay. When we went in, they gave him some "goofy juice", kind of like a valium, to help him not be so nervous. It was pretty funny because he kept laughing and hiccuping. He also got a toasty warm blanket to cuddle in. He happily let the nurses wheel him down the hall for his procedure.

When he was done, the dr spoke to us and said everything went well. He said his turbinates were so huge and that it wouldn't have even helped to take out his tonsils and adenoids if we hadn't done the turbinate reduction as well. He also had lots of fluid in his ears still so, we feel confidant and relieved that we made the right decision.

After he woke, they came and immediately got us. He was crying pretty hard and was very combative. He had gauze taped across his face under his nose for drainage and also to protect the little string hanging out (this went to a sponge that was left in his nose to prevent bleeding). He also had arm restraints on that prevented him from bending his elbows. To cap it off, he also had an IV coming out of his ankle so he was VERY grumpy. It was very difficult for us to calm him down, and he kept crying to take off his "glasses" (the gauze). Going home was tricky at first, but then he fell asleep, thank goodness! When we got home, we got him settled, and then Josh and I have been taking turns sitting right next to him. He has to have help to eat, drink, wipe his eyes, scratch his face, calm him down, etc. Needless to say, we are both tired out already.

After he woke up, he has been more compliant. He obviously still is not feeling good, but he started to eat popsicles (the dr specifically said he could have as many as he wanted and whatever drink he wanted), jello, apple juice, and later chocolate milk. We have to do our best to push fluids on him. He was already trying to color, even though he couldn't bend his arms.

Josh took the day off tomorrow to help, but needs to start work again Wednesday. I am thinking I definitely need to find someone who can help with Natalie! She has a tendency to find ways to bug Zack :)

On Thursday, he gets the sponge out of his nose, the gauze off, and the arm restraints off. We are counting down the hours till then...

Ashley is very concerned about Zack, but understands what is going on. She has promised to help be his "nurse" when he needs her and to understand when he just needs mom or dad. She's a good big sister.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and we'll all get at least some sleep tonight. Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts and prayers. I really felt calm today during the whole procedure and I know the Lord was helping in that regard.

5 comments:

The Osborne Family said...

Poor kid! That's a lot for anyone to go through, especially a little guy. I'm glad everything went well, though.

Cheri said...

Poor Zacky, that sounds tough, but I'm glad things went well. Ashley is a great big sister. I wish I was there to help!

Gage and Molly said...

I am so sorry the poor little guy had to go through all of that. It's so hard to see our little ones like that. I pray that everything goes okay.

SmithFamily said...

Let me know if you need my help! Glad to hear everything went well!

Heather, Todd, Elliana, & Sienna said...

So sad to see Zacky like that. I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. And soon enough this will all be over and he'll be back and better than ever, and without tonsils too!