Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring Break Cabin

Over spring break, we stayed at cabin that belonged to my great Uncle Waggoner Carr, and now his son, David. We met my parents, my sister Jenny, and her friend Brandi there. The cabin is located on the Llano river, near Llano, TX. We loved having yummy breakfasts cooked by dad, watching late night movies when the kids were asleep (like the original The Day the Earth Stood Still so we could be cultured), and playing games together. We really enjoyed hiking down to the river and dipping our feet in.
It was quite cold! I was really glad I put Natalie in her swimsuit, as I was sure she would fall in (which she did). However, Zack and Ashley also slipped and got really wet. Should have put everyone in swimsuits!
The stars were also amazing there, away from all the big city lights. There were also lots of cactus everywhere. Ashley and Zack had an unfortunate trip onto one and poor Ashley had cactus thorns all over.

My great uncle was an amazing man. He was the Attorney General for the state of TX and participated in the investigation of Kennedy's assasination. His life was fascinating...which you can read about here on Wikipedia. He always had lots of interesting stories to tell. Another activity he enjoyed was painting rocks. His cabin was filled with rocks he had painted with different designs and his trademark signature. Ashley, Zack, and Natalie LOVED looking at them and organizing them. Ashley and Zack enjoyed decorating their own rock to add to the collection. I wish I would have taken a picture of their rocks! Ashley has decided she would like to be a rock artist when she grows up.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Uncle Waggoner also wrote a book, "Texas Politics in my Rearview Mirror".

Sounds like a neat cabin. Natalie's swimsuit is really cute. The painted rock collection sounds interesting. I bet Ashley and Zack did an awesome job on their rock!